Saunders Hotel Group's Comfort Inn & Suites Boston Logan International Airport


Comfort Inn & Suites Boston hotel is owned and operated by Saunders Hotel Group (SHG). The property was originally constructed by SHG in 2000 and was built with sustainable features incorporated. Since its construction, the hotel has undergone various renovations that have contributed to the property’s overall energy performance. The energy efficiency measures taken at the Comfort Inn & Suites Boston contribute to SHG’s corporate sustainability goals of achieving 20 percent emissions reduction by 2020 against a 2008 baseline along with their Better Buildings Challenge goal of 20 percent energy reduction in a decade against a 2012 baseline. Improving the environmental impact of their hotels and achieving operational cost savings has been a priority for Saunders Hotel Group since their origin. Choice Hotels, the hotel's corporate brand, highlighted the Comfort Inn & Suites Boston as an example for all Comfort Inns due to the property's outstanding logistics, service, environmental impact, and operations. By working with Choice Hotels, SHG has been able to successfully influence hotel renovation decisions with energy-efficient practices while meeting brand standards.



SHG took a collaborative approach to evaluating and identifying energy saving measures across the hotel. The sustainability team at SHG regularly gathers input on energy efficiency needs from all department managers, who have a first-hand look at hotel operations. They then conducted comprehensive research to determine best practices and identify vendors for efficiency projects. SHG uses an energy management platform which allows them to identify faults and address them sooner, evaluate performance of efficiency projects, and track progress toward sustainability goals.


SHG implemented the following energy efficiency projects throughout the Comfort Inn & Suites Boston to achieve 21 percent energy savings in the building within three years:

  • Installed a new cogeneration unit as a cost-effective approach to reducing the property’s energy consumption. The cogeneration unit was purchased with utility incentives, which funded 20 percent of the fees associated with the unit and installation. The remaining 80 percent of the costs had a 4-year ROI. The cogeneration unit was one of the biggest contributors to energy savings at the hotel.
  • Converted 100 percent of the hotel’s lighting to LEDs
  • Purchased ENERGY STAR certified appliances
  • Installed a new cooling tower with variable speed motors
  • Upgraded outdated boilers to newer, more efficient boilers
  • Began outsourcing laundry, which contributed to significant water savings as well as energy reduction
  • Installed Electrical Vehicle charging stations


Beyond energy and water savings, SHG receives positive guest feedback on the hotel’s sustainability practices and improved guest comfort through online post-stay comment cards. The property also earned Trip Advisor Green Leaders Gold Status and remained ENERGY STAR® certified for four years.


Annual Energy Use

Baseline (2013)
231 kBtu/sq. ft.
Actual (2016)
183 kBtu/sq. ft.

Energy Savings:


Annual Energy Cost

Baseline (2013)
Actual (2016)

Cost Savings:


Sector Type



Boston, Massachusetts

Project Size

115,200 Square Feet

Saunders Comfort Inn and Suites Boston
Saunders Comfort Inn and Suites Boston

Saunders Comfort Inn and Suites Boston
Saunders Comfort Inn and Suites Boston