Resilience (sometimes referred to as “resiliency”) has been defined broadly as "the ability to resist being affected by an event or the ability to return to an acceptable level of performance in an acceptable period of time after being affected by an event closing." In the event of a disaster or extreme event, the benefits of energy-efficient buildings can extend far beyond cost savings. Buildings designed to be energy efficient and/or store or produce energy onsite offer a greater level of protection to the people and operations they house.
Do Energy Efficiency and Onsite Energy Contribute to Resilience?
Energy efficiency measures contribute to resilience in a number of ways:
CHP Technical Assistance Partnerships
DOE's CHP Technical Assistance Partnerships (CHP TAPs) promote and assist in transforming the market for CHP, waste heat to power, and district energy technologies/concepts throughout the United States. The CHP TAPs are available to assist partners with end user engagement and education, stakeholder engagement and education, as well as provide a variety of technical services.
Better Buildings Webinars on Resilience
The Better Buildings Webinar Series takes on the most pressing topics facing energy professionals, with new experts leading the conversations on proven best practices, cost-effective strategies, and innovative new ways to approach sustainability and energy performance. Webinars that are specific to resilience include:
- Building Resilient Communities: State and Local Perspectives (Recorded with slides and transcript)
- Planning for Resilience in Multifamily Housing: A portfolio-wide Approach (Recorded with slides and transcript)
- Save Money and Build Resilience with Distributed Energy Technologies (Recorded with slides and transcript)
- Distributed Energy Resources for Cost Savings and Resilience (Recorded with slides and transcript)
- Using Commercial Pace Financing to Improve Efficiency and Resiliency In Buildings (Recorded with slides and transcript)
- Buildings That Rebound: Resiliency Strategies for Commercial Buildings and Communities (Recorded with slides and transcript)
- Perspectives on Resilience: Insurance and Credit Underwriting (Recorded with slides and transcript)
- Climate Risk Assessments: Commercial Buildings & Portfolio Resilience (Recorded with slides and transcript)
Better Buildings E-Learning Center
Discover online training and education opportunities from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and Better Buildings Affiliates who are working with DOE to promote energy efficiency in U.S. buildings and manufacturing plants. This site contains a collection of webinars, courses, and other e-learning resources covering a range of areas relevant to Better Buildings, Better Plants partners, including resilience.