University of Michigan
University of Michigan
The University of Michigan serves the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. U-M’s commitment to climate action and sustainability spans a $1.62 billion research enterprise (the nation’s largest public research institution), 40 million square feet in buildings, the Ann Arbor, Flint, and Dearborn campuses, an expansive athletics complex, and the Michigan Medicine health system, which annually serves the public with 2.3 million patient visits, 60,000 surgeries and 5,000 births.
PORTFOLIO-WIDE LEADERSHIP COMMITMENTS
50% GHG reduction in 10 years
15% reduction in Energy Intensity
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN IS PARTICIPATING IN THE FOLLOWING DOE PROGRAMS:
|Better Climate Challenge|
U-M first established emissions reduction and sustainability goals for its Ann Arbor campus in 2011. The goals, set for 2025, pertain to greenhouse gas reduction, waste reduction, healthy environments, and campus engagement. U-M was able to procure half of its purchased electricity from renewable sources by FY2022, due in large part to power purchase agreements that helped facilitate the development of Michigan wind energy parks.
In 2021, U-M announced a comprehensive commitment to achieving carbon neutrality. Updated commitments include:
- Achieving net-zero emissions from purchased power (Scope 2) by 2025.
- Eliminating greenhouse gases from direct, on-campus sources (Scope 1) by 2040.
- Establishing carbon neutrality goals by 2025 for a wide range of indirect emission sources like university travel, commuting and food (Scope 3).
- Achieving a net-zero endowment by 2050, shifting natural resource investments to renewable energy, and building on a low-carbon economy.
- Instilling a university-wide culture of sustainability, with justice as a core principle.
The University of Michigan serves the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
|GHG Emissions Goals|
|50%Reduction in Scope 1 & 2 Emissions||Progress|