Eden Housing is a non-profit with more than 50 years’ experience creating safe and secure communities serving for very low and moderate-income families, seniors, veterans, people living with physical, mental, or developmental disabilities, and the formerly homeless. They have developed or acquired more than 10,600 homes in communities throughout California, serving a diverse population of 22,000 low-income residents from all cultures and backgrounds. With humble beginnings, more than 120,000 people have come home to an Eden community.
PORTFOLIO-WIDE LEADERSHIP COMMITMENTS
50% GHG reductions within 10 years from a 2021 baseline
20% reduction in Energy Intensity
EDEN HOUSING IS PARTICIPATING IN THE FOLLOWING DOE PROGRAMS:
|Better Climate Challenge||Better Buildings Challenge|
Eden has implemented multiple programs to enhance energy and water efficiency at multiple communities with minimal to no cost to the properties. Achievements to date:
• Energy Savings of $1.13 million annually from 4.5 megawatts of solar electricity generated by on-site photovoltaic clean energy systems at 80 communities.
• 11% decrease in electricity costs despite a 2% growth in living units.
• Implementation of Solar on Multifamily Affordable Housing (SOMAH) and Multifamily Affordable Solar Home (MASH) projects, residents’ electricity costs decreased by an average $45/month.
• Implemented $1 million in Energy Savings Assistance for Common Area Measures (ESA-CAM) at twenty communities; and completed in-unit Energy Savings Assistance programs at eleven of the retrofitted properties.
• Achieved an average EnergyStar score of 88 out of 100 (75 or higher indicates top energy performance) throughout Eden’s portfolio of properties.
Eden is furthering the commitment to energy reduction by joining the Better Buildings Challenge to reduce their portfolio wide energy intensity by 20% over 10 years.
As a part of the Better Climate Challenge, Eden will commit to a 50% or more reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from its 2021 portfolio over the next 10 years. Their goals call for doubling Eden’s portfolio over the next decade, an action that will create significant impact in the health of the planet and the communities Eden develops and manages. Eden is to develop an organization-wide plan with greenhouse gas emission reduction milestones, share information on the low greenhouse gas strategies implemented, and participate in working groups to share best practices and solutions.
|GHG Emissions Goals|
|50%Reduction in Scope 1 & 2 Emissions||Progress|
|20%Reduction in Energy Intensity||Progress|