Explore combined heat and power (CHP) deployment resources, including databases, fact sheets, reports, and issue briefs.
- Microgrid and CHP Installation Databases
These databases contain comprehensive listings of microgrid and CHP installations throughout the country.
- CHP Project Profiles Database
This database contains more than 250 CHP project profiles that can be searched by a variety of characteristics.
Packaged CHP eCatalog and Accelerator
- Packaged CHP eCatalog
The Packaged CHP eCatalog is a public/private partnership designed to increase deployment of efficient CHP through the development of a searchable web-based system that hosts commercially available Packaged CHP Systems recognized by DOE to meet specific performance standards.
- Packaged CHP Accelerator
The Packaged CHP Accelerator was a partnership of eCatalog Suppliers and Customer Engagement Partners committed to catalyze the deployment of standardized, packaged CHP systems suitable for a wide range of end user facilities through use of the Packaged CHP eCatalog.
- Packaged CHP Technology Overview and Market Profile
This report provides background on packaged CHP systems, an overview of their benefits, a profile of current packaged CHP installations, and a summary of future market trends.
- Packaged CHP eCatalog Fact Sheet
This fact sheet describes the Packaged CHP eCatalog, which allows users and consulting engineers to search through DOE-recognized Packaged CHP Systems based on specific requirements, such as fuel type, prime mover, etc.
- CHP Market Sector Fact Sheets
- CHP Technology Fact Sheets
- CHP Economic Success Stories Fact Sheet
This fact sheet highlights the benefits CHP can provide in energy cost savings, which can lead to facility expansions, increased revenue and productivity, job creation, and economic benefits for surrounding communities.
- CHP for Resiliency in Critical Infrastructure
This fact sheet highlights the energy resilience and reliability benefits that CHP systems can offer to critical infrastructure facilities, provides information on current and potential CHP installations at critical facilities, and reviews details on the economic impacts of grid outages to industrial and commercial operations.
- CHP Technical Potential in the United States
This market analysis report provides data on the technical potential in industrial facilities and commercial buildings for “topping cycle” CHP, waste heat to power CHP (WHP CHP), and district energy CHP in the United States.
- CHP Financing Primer
This financing primer provides checklists of information that financiers need to evaluate CHP investment opportunities and discusses how CHP developers can best tailor their financing approach to a specific project.
- CHP: A Clean Energy Solution
A paper by DOE and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that provides a foundation for national discussions on effective ways to increase utilization of CHP and includes an overview of the key issues impacting CHP deployment and the factors that need to be considered by stakeholders participating in the dialogue.
- Characterization of CHP Opportunities at U.S. Wastewater Treatment Plants
This report examines the current state of anaerobic digester gas-fueled CHP at wastewater treatment plants, identifies critical implementation factors, and estimates the technical potential for additional CHP installations in this sector.
- CHP in Integrated Resource Planning: Examples and Planning Considerations
A report by The State and Local Energy Efficiency Action Network (SEE Action) Industrial Energy Efficiency and CHP Working Group that explores the role that CHP can play as both a supply-side and demand-side resource in utility integrated resource plans (IRPs).
- Utility Ownership of CHP
- Interconnection Standards for CHP
- Utility CHP Programs
- CHP in Resilience Planning and Policy
- State-Led CHP Initiatives
Webinars and Presentations
- Decarbonizing Industrial Plants with Onsite Generation, September 2023
- Tax Incentives for Microgrid and CHP Projects in the Inflation Reduction Act, June 2023
- Exploring Decarbonization and Federal Funding Opportunities for Combined Heat and Power, June 2023
- CHP Virtual Reality, March 2023
- Community Energy Systems and CHP, November 2022
- Combined Heat and Power: A Renewable-Enabler, April 2022
- How to Meet Your Decarbonization Goals with Hydrogen Fueled CHP, January 2022
Other CHP Resources
- Screening Questions for Onsite Energy Suitability
These screening questions can help facilities determine if they may be a good candidate for CHP.
- CHP for Resiliency Accelerator
The Accelerator website provides guides and tools for those evaluating the use of CHP to improve resilience. Among available resources are:
- CHP Policy and Program Profiles
These profiles describe policies or programs impacting CHP deployment, including history of development, outcomes of successful policies, and lessons learned in implementation.
- State of CHP in All 50 States
This fact sheet series provides a general overview of the state of CHP technologies in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, including data on installations, technical potential, and economics for CHP.