Midwest States, Policies & Incentives
Featured Policy Profile
Minnesota Standby Rates Proceeding
In 2015, the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission ordered the state’s rate-regulated utilities to file updated standby service tariffs with an eye toward fair compensation, design considerations, and best practices. A policy profile produced by the Midwest CHP TAP features the policy, which came after the Minnesota Department of Commerce was awarded a U.S. Department of Energy grant to develop a CHP action plan. The policy development process included extensive stakeholder engagement and resulted in notable improvements in the utilities’ standby rates for CHP systems. Read the policy profile.
Policy and Program Profiles
The Midwest CHP TAP is developing a series of profiles describing important policy issues or programs impacting the deployment of CHP systems in the region. These profiles highlight successful programs and best practices that can be used as models throughout the country.
- AEP Ohio CHP and Waste Energy Recovery Program
- Ameren Illinois Qualifying Facilities
- CHP in Net-Zero Energy Facilities
- CHP Roadmap for Michigan
- DTE Energy Standby Rate (Michigan)
- Encouraging CHP in Illinois Public Sector
- Financing for CHP in Wisconsin
- How Ohio Incorporated CHP and Waste Energy Recovery into its Clean Energy Standards
- Indiana’s Integrated Resource Planning Process
- Michigan Standby Rate Working Group
- Minnesota Standby Rates Proceeding
- NiPSCO CHP Feed-in-Tariff (Indiana)
- The Ohio Center for Industrial Energy Efficiency
- Wisconsin’s Focus on Energy Biogas Incentives
- Xcel Energy Standby Service Rider (Minnesota)
State of CHP in the Midwest CHP TAP Region
The CHP Deployment Program has compiled a fact sheet series that provides a general overview of the state of CHP technologies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, including data on current installations, technical potential, and economics for CHP.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) Combined Heat and Power Partnership program maintains an online database that allows users to search for CHP policies and incentives by state or at the federal level.