MetLife Investment Management’s District Center Recognized for Sustainability Leadership
On January 23, DOE recognized Better Buildings Challenge partner MetLife Investment Management for advances in energy efficiency made at its District Center in Washington, D.C.
MetLife’s District Center is a 910,000-square-foot commercial building in Washington, D.C.’s east end. As a result of energy-efficient upgrades made throughout the building's major systems, District Center saves more than $500,000 per year in energy costs from a 2014 baseline.
A Better Buildings showcase project, District Center is a first of its kind “smart” commercial office building with capability for smart tenant solutions, such as apps for personal control of lighting, HVAC, access control, and more.
Attendees had the opportunity to tour District Center’s many sustainable features, including its energy-efficient HVAC, lighting, submetering, and energy management systems, as well as the rooftop farm, lounges, and spec suites with TV screens displaying real-time energy data.
Together, these improved efficiency systems reduce District Center’s operations and maintenance expenses, facilitate easy reporting of sustainability and metrics, and increase tenant experience, convenience, and productivity.
As a Better Buildings Challenge partner, MetLife has committed to reducing its energy intensity by 20% by 2026 over its 53 million-square-foot portfolio. Learn more MetLife’s commitment to sustainability here. Plus, take a look at pictures from the tour below.
From left to right:
1. Jim Landau, Director, MetLife Real Estate, discusses efficiency and sustainability features in a District Center spec suite
2. David Nemtzow, Director of the Building Technologies Office at the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (left) and Jim Landau, Director, MetLife Real Estate (right) in the District Center entrance atrium
3. Penthouse conference center at District Center
4. Yann Palmore, Senior Director, JLL Technology Solutions, presents real-time energy data capabilities in District Center spec suite. Building temperature map displayed onscreen.
5. MetLife, JLL and DOE teams in spec suite as Yann Palmore, Senior Director, JLL Technology Solutions, presents on the sustainability features at District Center
6. Yann Palmore, Senior Director, JLL Technology Solutions, demonstrating mobile app used for room reservations lighting and temperature control, wayfinding within the building, and responding to tenant requests
7. Russell Beckelhimer, Senior Chief Engineer at JLL Technology Solutions, presents on District Center's smart technologies in penthouse conference center
8. JLL, Smart Building Technologies, MetLife Real Estate, and U.S. Department of Energy staff at District Center
9. David Nemtzow, Director of the Building Technologies Office at the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE), Jim Landau, Director, MetLife Real Estate, and Duncan Currie, VP of Communications, MetLife Real Estate