Smart Tools for Efficient HVAC Performance Campaign
Space heating and cooling systems account for more than 40% of energy consumption in U.S. residences. Improper installation and maintenance of HVAC systems leads to increased energy use, unnecessary repairs, and occupant comfort issues. Researchers at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory estimate that energy waste from equipment malfunctions in central air conditioners and air-source heat pumps costs equipment owners $2.5 billion annually.
The Smart Tools for Efficient HVAC Performance Campaign (STEP Campaign for short) aims to accelerate the adoption of HVAC smart diagnostic tools. These tools will enable contractors to commission new HVAC systems more efficiently and identify malfunctions in existing systems at a much lower cost. Through this Campaign, DOE will recognize contractors that effectively use the tools and provide a platform for technical assistance with access to case studies, best practices, independent testing of available tools, utility incentive programs, and more.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF JOINING?
Organizations join as Participants or Supporters.
Participants may include residential HVAC contractors and installers. These organizations will be able to:
- Access relevant resources and case studies;
- Receive technical assistance for implementing smart diagnostic tools in their businesses; and
- Gain recognition for exemplary projects utilizing smart diagnostic tools.
Supporters include utilities, manufacturers, energy efficiency organizations. These organizations will:
- Share information about the Campaign and the smart diagnostic tool solutions, products, and services they offer;
- Encourage their members or customers to join the Campaign;
- Be listed on the Campaign webpage; and
- Have the opportunity to be recognized for their efforts.