Welcome to the Smart Energy Analytics Campaign
What is the Smart Energy Analytics Campaign?
Buildings are full of hidden energy savings potential that can be uncovered with the right analysis. With sophisticated software applied to everyday building operations, building owners are now reaping the cost-saving benefits of analytics. As much as 10-20 percent energy savings is possible in a single building, with average portfolio savings of 8%. Nationwide, if EMIS best practices were adopted by all target buildings in the U.S. commercial sector, the result could total over $4B in savings.
The Smart Energy Analytics Campaign is a program led by the U.S. Department of Energy that encourages the use of a wide variety of commercially available Energy Management and Information Systems (EMIS) technologies and ongoing monitoring practices to help uncover those energy-saving opportunities and improve building performance for the long run.
Facility managers, energy managers, and operators of commercial buildings across the country are collaborating with utilities, product and service providers through this members-only network of peer-to-peer exchange, with access to experts who can tailor technical support to meet the needs of your buildings.
Aiming to increase adoption of EMIS technologies and the energy management practices that utilize these technologies, the Smart Energy Analytics Campaign helps bring analytics into the mainstream by providing its participants technical assistance, as well as best practices, case studies, and other key guidance and resources. Participants are also encouraged to share their successes, and apply for national recognition for their efforts.
What are Energy Management and Information Systems (EMIS)?
Energy Management and Information Systems are the broad and rapidly evolving family of tools that monitor, analyze, and control building energy use and system performance. These technologies include benchmarking and utility bill tracking software, energy information systems (EIS), building automation systems, fault detection and diagnostic tools, and automated system optimization software. The data generated enables building owners to operate their buildings more efficiently, and with improved occupant comfort, by providing visibility into and analysis of the energy consumed by lighting, space conditioning and ventilation, and other end uses.
Innovations in EMIS have automated the analysis of energy and system data and made it possible to apply analytics to everyday building operations.The analytics embedded in EMIS can enable building operations staff to achieve significant energy savings, with rapid payback.
The Smart Energy Analytics Campaign offers participants insights and resources to take advantage of what EMIS can bring to their organization. Click here to view top resources.
The Smart Energy Analytics Campaign provides a variety of technical assistance options to help commercial building owners/managers in their EMIS deployment process.
Get recognized for using EMIS and gain special access to technical experts to help accelerate the energy savings in your buildings. As a participant you will earn access to technical assistance and world-class experts.
The Campaign will award those participants with exemplary projects on an annual basis.
Why join the Smart Energy Analytics Campaign?
Are you making the most of your meter data? The Smart Energy Analytics Campaign can provide information and connections to key findings and best practices, to help your organization cut through the complexity of EMIS options. The campaign is designed to get you started on the path to ongoing monitoring and analytics.
Participants will receive the following:
- Technical assistance from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory building energy experts, who can help you to answer these questions as you identify, install, and operationalize your management system. The Laboratory team can advise you on how to:
- Justify an EMIS to your management
- Set up and configure an EMIS
- Take action from your energy data
- Continually improve energy performance based on real information on your building
- National recognition by the U.S. Department of Energy, for exemplary achievements
- Exclusive membership in a cohort/peer network with other participants to share best practices
- Information on how to implement cost-effective energy savings
How do I get involved?
To become a participant in the Smart Energy Analytics Campaign, first make a pledge and then share your progress. Signing up only takes a few minutes and we’re here to help you every step of the way.
- First things first. Make your pledge. Share your plans to install a new EMIS or use an existing EMIS in one or more buildings, analyze energy use from the EMIS data, and then implement at least one energy-saving measure. Make a pledge today.
- Put your pledge into action. Share your activities. Within a year of joining the Smart Energy Analytics Campaign, share how you've implemented your EMIS plans and what actions you've taken as a result of using your EMIS. Follow through on your pledge; tell us about your progress.
- Let us shine a light on your work. Get national recognition. Participants will be recognized annually in front of peers at several national industry events. Applying for recognition is voluntary and several categories of recognition are offered.