|25%Reduction in Energy Intensity||Goal Achieved|
|Water Neutral By 2015|
Since 1977, HARBEC, Inc. has been a custom injection molder and precision component part manufacturer based in Upstate New York. HARBEC is seriously committed to efficiency in all facets of its business, but particularly with regard to the utilization of natural resources and energy. HARBEC endeavors to be a sustainable manufacturing company and its mission is to provide tightly toleranced prototypes, tooling, machined components, and quality injection molded parts in a sustainable manner with a social conscience.
HARBEC has made significant energy efficiency and resource utilization improvements including:
- Meeting its initial goal under the Challenge by improving energy intensity by 25% cumulatively over just four years.
- On-site deployment of renewable and alternative energy technologies, which enable HARBEC to achieve fixed energy costs and increased energy utilization. To achieve this, HARBEC has deployed two wind turbines rated at 250 kW and 850 kW respectively and has integrated a combined heat and power system consisting of 25 Capstone microturbines rated at 30 kW, providing a 750 kW potential.
- Proactive energy measurement and management systems, including the adoption of ISO 50001 and participation in DOE’s Superior Energy Performance Program.
- Proactive equipment procurement guidelines: HARBEC has created and adopted “Eco-Economic Decision Criteria” for all new equipment that includes parameters for assessing equipment energy efficiency and performance in-step with facility requirements and cost.
- Targeted energy efficiency projects that achieve high-performance results, including high efficiency lighting and daylight gathering, building envelope, HVAC, and thermal energy efficiency improvements. Lighting technology improvements at HARBEC have reduced the electric requirement for lighting by 50%.
- HARBEC has implemented efficiency solutions within manufacturing processes, such as the application of insulation to the barrels of every injection molding machine in the facility resulting in 40-50% reduction of the total process energy required for normal molding operation. In addition, HARBEC has made significant capital equipment purchases adopting higher efficiency electric injection molding machines within its manufacturing operations. These new high efficiency machines have further reduced energy consumption at HARBEC while having a positive impact on processing speed and cycle time.